By: Carmen Taira
Small businesses in Groveland have been, and continue to be, greatly affected by the shelter in place and social distancing orders issued in the State of California. I still hear the echoes of hardship experienced during the Rim Fire of 2013 which greatly impacted tourism and many businesses suffered. This small town, with history of repeated economic successes and failures since the Gold Rush, has always survived. Persistence, and the willingness to start over has become a trait of our town, with support from the community and volunteers.
COVID 19 has affected the whole world, of which we are only a small part, though the damage it has done to our people and businesses feels proportionally greater. In response, our Federal and state Governments have extended assistance to those affected and in need.
- For individual who became unemployed to apply for unemployment assistance link https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/91 or you may qualify for Disaster Unemployment Insurance https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/597
- Family affected during this outbreak can apply for Temporary Assistance thru this link https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/613
- Federal Income Tax Filing and Payment Deadline Extension for both individual and business due on April 15 will now be due on July 15.
- Stimulus Checks, “Eligible” taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2019 or 2018 will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each qualifying child.
- Small Business assistance Summary of Cares Act link: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/summary-cares-act
On the brighter side, to celebrate Mother’s Day, Earl Wright from the Pizza Factory is giving away 5 extra-large pizzas with one topping. To win one, fill in an entry form and drop it off at the Pizza Factory at 18583 Main Street. Forms are available at the Chambers Groveland.org website Events section and Yosemite Chamber of Commerce Facebook page. All entries should be received by May 9th and the drawing will be at 5:00PM that day.
Carmen Taira: is the owner of I Love Groveland.com, and Secretary to the Yosemite Hwy 120 Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.